These last couple months have been all about
self-discovery and self-improvement. I woke up on my 27th birthday and realized that I was not the person that I wanted
myself to be... I was a little overweight, stressed out, not eating healthy,
not working out on a regular basis, just out of a relationship and overall, not very happy. I decided instead of
having a New Year's Resolution, that I was going to have a New Year Older
resolution and that working on becoming myself that I want to be was going to
my priority for a year until my 28th birthday.
So, for the time being, I am going to focus my
energy on bettering myself. I have spent the majority of my life going out of the way helping other
people, but not really taking care of myself in the process. One of my really
good friends asked me a couple months ago, "Carissa, why don't you be
selfish for once in your life, you are always selfless to others. It's time
that you take care of yourself". So the time for me has come! When I have
told my friends and mom this, they all pretty much responded the same way,
"Good!" "Finally!" "You are the most important person
to yourself", etc...
I kind of had a relapse a couple weeks ago with this self-improvement... I was sick for about 2 weeks with a sinus infection, was stressed out at work, blah blah blah. I took a mental health day and woke up with a migraine and sinus crap. Everything kind of rolled into one minor meltdown on my part. I took the majority of the weekend off of work to get myself out of the funk and feel better. Now, I know the symptoms of when this may happen again and I will do something about it, like take a weekday off to go skiing on an amazing powder day.
I kind of had a relapse a couple weeks ago with this self-improvement... I was sick for about 2 weeks with a sinus infection, was stressed out at work, blah blah blah. I took a mental health day and woke up with a migraine and sinus crap. Everything kind of rolled into one minor meltdown on my part. I took the majority of the weekend off of work to get myself out of the funk and feel better. Now, I know the symptoms of when this may happen again and I will do something about it, like take a weekday off to go skiing on an amazing powder day.
So here are a few things that I am doing for myself
this year (yes, some of those are cliches, but they are working).
1) Working out on a regular basis. I try to
go to the gym 3-4 times a week to do cardio exercises. I recently started going
to a Boxing Boot Camp class on Wednesday nights with my friend Lindsey, which
is a ton of fun! When I don't go the gym, I try to do arm weights and abs at
home. I have also re-started to run again and prepping to run a few 5K's (and
maybe 10K's) this year! I haven't really been able to run since I injured my
ankle over 10 years ago and having surgery on it has allowed me to become
active again. I was sick a week ago and didn't work out that whole week and it
made me feel like a huge blob. I can already tell that I am becoming more toned and the pounds are starting to drop off! I monitor my fitness progress on Fitocracy, which is online website. If you want an invite,
feel free to message me.
2) Eating well. I am working on cutting out
fast food, in general greasy food, and soda and alcohol (except for special
occasions) from my diet. I am also starting to cook the majority of meals
(cutting out on the eating out), eat more fruits and vegetables (including
rabbit food..salads), eat more lean cuts of meat (though the occasional steak
craving shall be fulfilled), cook with healthier oils, and drinking more water.
Since the beginning of the year, I have only had fast food three times (used to
be a weekly occurrence)... once for my mom's surgery and the hospital cafeteria
was closed and I had some McDonalds, and twice when I was really upset and had
my angry food Chick Fil-A, ha! But after each time I had those foods, I felt
really disgusting and my stomach was not happy with me; so I won’t be doing
that very often.
3) Reading good books. Reading has always
been one of my favorite past times. When I was little, I would get in trouble
for waking up in the middle of the night and reading a book. I used to read
every night before I went to bed, but that has lapsed in the last year or so. I
am trying to read every day now something that is not science related. I am
always looking for some good new reads, so if you have anything shoot them my
way! I am going to start reading some more non-fiction and have a had a renewed interest in learning more about WWI and WWII.
4) Taking time each week to do something that I
love. Two weeks ago, I went to a coffee shop and read a book for awhile. I love
the smell of coffee, especially on yourself after you have left a coffee shop. Last week, I went skiing with my friend Andrea who was visiting from Rochester
and also going to my happy place, the Denver Botanic Gardens to see an orchid
showcase with my friend Emily. Yesterday, I went skiing at Vail for a picture perfect powder day and then went to see the Peter Pan ballet with a bunch of my girlfriends from grad school. It could be a small thing like painting my
nails, buying a little something to make my happy, eating a good meal, learning
a new cooking technique etc. This summer I am looking to get a community garden plot and get back into gardening, something that I have always loved :) (I am on the waiting list right now for one, anyone in Denver interested in gardening with me??).
5) Baking and cooking. For those that know
me (and read this blog), I absolutely love cooking and baking. Baking has
always been a stress reliever for me, I got it from my mom's side of the
family. Just the act of baking alone destresses me... I don't even need to eat
the baked goods to destress, so I give them away to others and don’t deal with
the calories :P. My roommates always knew when I was stressed out because I was
baking cookies, brownies, my famous banana bread, etc for them. I have also
started to experiment more with cooking (a trait that I got from my dad's side
of the family). I follow a few cooking Tweeters on the Twitter, where I have
gotten some awesome recipes (and which I will later blog about :P). I also want
to take some cooking techniques classes and some pastry decorating classes to expand my horizons.
6) Not sweating the small stuff. Not
everything we do in life is completely in our control. If something goes wrong,
it’s not worth it to freak out about. Just try to make the best out of the
situation and move on. Recognize when I get stressed, that’s it’s sometimes
best to take a day off, relax, and come back at the problem with a clear mind.
7) Putting myself out there in uncomfortable
situations. I am an introvert (albeit, an extroverted introvert), so at
times I just need to stay home and relax by myself and decompress. Lately, I
have been falling into that habit a little too often. I decided that I am going
to become more social and put myself through some uncomfortable situations. I
am going to start running with the Irish Snug Running Club on Thursday nights as
soon I as feel like I can run a 5K without looking like a foo. I am going to
start working on things at coffee shops and people watching, start going to
museums and bookstores by myself (something that I would not like to do
previously). I am going to try and put together a grad student Kickball team
for the Denver Kickball League (or something to that effect).
8) Taking the time to catch up with friends. In
the past, I have been really good at keeping up with friends. With the stress
of work, I have lapsed in this department and have been starting to feel like a bad
friend. So friends, keep your phones on because you will probably receive a
phone call from me soon! Also, check your mail, sometimes it fun to receive
something besides bills and coupons in the mail!
9) Trying new things out. This summer, I
want to try skydiving. My friend Marlon recently started working at an indoor
skydiving tunnel and he has been bugging me to come over there and try it out.
I think I will try it and if I like it, try outdoor skydiving this summer. I
heard that there is a place near Longmont or Loveland that is supposed to be
one of the most beautiful places to skydive. I also want to try taking salsa
dancing or swing dancing classes. I am one of the most uncoordinated people
that you will ever meet, so it would be fun to try something new out and see if
I can become less of a klutz. I also want to go to some cooking and cake decorating classes to
improve my skills. I also want to learn how to be a good photographer, how to frame shots, lighting, etc. My friend Emily just moved out here and has agreed to help me with that (and I can learn how to use her massive Canon 7D with the largest lens I have ever seen).
10) Becoming an optimist, and cutting out the
pessimism in my life. I have realized that there are some very toxic,
negative people and things in my life. People that no matter how well things
are going for you, they have a way of bringing of bringing that down; people
that you go out of the way to help them, but they would not do the same for
you, etc. Things that you think bring you joy, but in the end are bad for you.
I have decided that I am going to rid my life of these negative things and
instead focus on the positivity of life. Don’t worry, if you are reading this blog,
it means I haven’t cut you out of my life. Each day, I am trying to think of
something that was good for the day and focus my energy on that; instead of
something that went awry.
11) Sleeping well. I have been battling insomnia on and off for the last 6 months or so. There doesn't really seem to be a trend for when it comes and goes. Apparently, it runs on both sides of my family. I am going to try and get at least 7 hours of sleep a night. I have a hard time waking up in the morning when my alarm goes off, especially in the wintertime. I am going to try an iPhone app called the sleep cycle alarm clock. You put your iPhone under your sheets by your head and it monitors your sleep cycle. You choose an alarm setting within a half hour and it will have your alarm go off when you are in the lightest sleep cycle. I'll see how it goes. But I try to be productive with my insomnia... Today, I woke up and baked a cake, cleaned my apartment, and wrote this blog post. :p
12) Becoming informed and involved. I used to watch the news and read the newspapers all the time to keep myself up with current events. I have also started to lapse in the department. I want to make sure that I am well informed about all the world's stories (no matter how depressing they are). I am also going to become involved with volunteering for this year's elections. I have signed up to volunteer for a couple campaigns. I want to get more involved with getting young people to vote. I have a lot of friends who have never voted before or believe that their vote is not necessary. With the presidential election this year, it is important to go out and vote!!
As my friend Amanda told me recently, "You have a life that people are jealous of. You are 27 years old, you are gorgeous, you are working in a field that you love, living an awesome city. Work it girl!". So for the time being, this is my plan. Slowly but surely, I am starting to be the person that I want to be. I am a work in progress, but at least there is being progress made right now.
11) Sleeping well. I have been battling insomnia on and off for the last 6 months or so. There doesn't really seem to be a trend for when it comes and goes. Apparently, it runs on both sides of my family. I am going to try and get at least 7 hours of sleep a night. I have a hard time waking up in the morning when my alarm goes off, especially in the wintertime. I am going to try an iPhone app called the sleep cycle alarm clock. You put your iPhone under your sheets by your head and it monitors your sleep cycle. You choose an alarm setting within a half hour and it will have your alarm go off when you are in the lightest sleep cycle. I'll see how it goes. But I try to be productive with my insomnia... Today, I woke up and baked a cake, cleaned my apartment, and wrote this blog post. :p
12) Becoming informed and involved. I used to watch the news and read the newspapers all the time to keep myself up with current events. I have also started to lapse in the department. I want to make sure that I am well informed about all the world's stories (no matter how depressing they are). I am also going to become involved with volunteering for this year's elections. I have signed up to volunteer for a couple campaigns. I want to get more involved with getting young people to vote. I have a lot of friends who have never voted before or believe that their vote is not necessary. With the presidential election this year, it is important to go out and vote!!
As my friend Amanda told me recently, "You have a life that people are jealous of. You are 27 years old, you are gorgeous, you are working in a field that you love, living an awesome city. Work it girl!". So for the time being, this is my plan. Slowly but surely, I am starting to be the person that I want to be. I am a work in progress, but at least there is being progress made right now.
Good for you Carissa! Those are all important things (and if you ever want to try that outdoor skydiving thing I could be convinced to join you)
ReplyDeleteGretchie, let me know when you come out for a visit and we will go skydiving :)
ReplyDelete