Monday, March 5, 2012

Tastes like home... My world famous banana bread recipe

There are a few foods that you cook or bake that remind you of home. For me, that is my banana bread recipe that I got from my great-grandma Babe. It has been passed down through the family for the generations. Growing up, my mom would buy bananas for the sole purpose of making banana bread. This is a tradition that I continue in my adulthood. I don't like the taste of bananas, but when they are baked into this delicious (and super easy) recipe, they are instantly transformed! I have had this recipe memorized for about 15 years. Whenever I feel a little homesick, I buy a bunch of bananas and wait for them to turn that delightful shade of black brown to make this banana bread. In college and at all of my work places, this has been the most requested recipe from my friends.

Babe's Banana Bread
Ingredients
1/2 cup butter softened (1 stick)
1 cup sugar
2 large eggs
2 cups flour 
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp vanilla
3 mashed ripe bananas

Preheat oven to 350F
1) Mix together butter and sugar.
2) Add eggs, one at a time until well-mixed
3) Add flour and baking soda to mixture. Mix well. The dough will get hard to mix at the end.
4) Add vanilla and bananas to mixture. Mix until incorporated.
5) Add banana bread into a greased 9" loaf pan
6) Bake at 350F for 1 hour.

Variations:
1) Add chopped nuts or chocolate chips to the batter. Bake as usual.
2) Muffins. Line muffin pans with muffin liners. Bake at 350 for 15 minutes or until tops are golden brown.
3) Muffin tops. I have a special muffin top pan (from Bed Bath and Beyond) that makes special muffin tops. Bake for 17 minutes at 350 or until tops are golden brown.

I have had some difficulty adapting this recipe to the altitude here in Denver. The first couple of attempts to make it the normal way, ended up turning my lovely banana bread into a hard brick. So, I usually make banana chocolate chip muffin tops and they turn out really well.

The finished product! I like to serve it slightly warm with butter, so the chocolate chips are melted!


No comments:

Post a Comment